The Palisades is one of the lesser known neighborhoods in North West Washington, DC. This neighborhood boarders the Potomac River from the edge of Georgetown University Campus and Key Bridge to the DC-Maryland boarder (near Delcarlia water treatment plant) and Chain Bridge. The main road in this neighborhood is MacArthur Blvd, NW. A little piece of trivia is that MacArthur Blvd was once called Conduit Road. The homes along the buff on Potomac Avenue, NW, in this neighborhood, have a beautiful view of the Potomac River. Sunsets are lovely to see along the bluff.
The Neighborhood Advisory Commission for The Palisades is 3D, in Ward 3. The Palisades Citizens Association (PCA) was formed in 1916. The first name for the Citizens Association was the Conduit Road Citizens Association.
Homes in this neighborhood are an eclectic mix of single family homes, townhouses, condos and apartments. Homes range in size from small Sears Catalogue bungalows, large old Victorians, and modern newly constructed houses.
The Palisades Improvement Company started this neighborhood in 1893. In 1896, the International Athletic Park & Amusement Company purchased a large parcel of land and built a bicycle tract and amusement park.
Within the Palisades neighborhood is the Potomac Heights neighborhood. This neighborhood goes from Loughboro Road, NW (north) Arizona Ave, NW (south) MacArthur Blvd, NW & the Potomac River. It is important to know about Potomac Heights because 75 acres of land known as the Athletic Park tract was purchased by the Potomac Heights Land Co. in 1909. . This neighborhood offered 800 lots for sale at $450-$500 per lot. Homes were not allowed to be built on the lots were not to be less than $2500. This tract was divided by the Washington Railway & Electric Co. The line ran from Georgetown to Glen Echo.
Francis Scott Key Elementary school is the neighborhood elementary school. The school first opened in 1928. The public library is Palisades Library. This library opened its doors in 1969. The former library was the Conduit Road Schoolhouse.
Each July 4th, The Palisades has an annual 4th of July parade that is sponsored by local businesses. There is also a Farmer's Market on Sundays from 9am-1pm at 48th Place, NW and MacArthur Blvd. This market offers seasonal produce, farm goods, flowers and baked goods.