Take a moment to browse my resource center to look for answers and information including the latest trends in the local market.
Search the Washington Metropolitan area for Homes
Washington DC Real Estate Tips
Washington DC Tips
Michele Buckman has put together some videos discussing the current DC market and what the future may hold for the real estate market in the Washington DC area.
Capitol Hill Realtor: What You Need to Know About Home Inspections
If you're buying or selling a Capitol Hill home, you will want to obtain a home inspection. Capitol Hill Realtor Michelle Buckman wants to you to understand what you can expect when you get a home inspection. Here's what you need to know:
- You can choose your home inspector, but make sure that your inspector is licensed and has certifications from the National Association of Home Inspectors, Inc. (NAHI).
- Home inspectors consider hundreds of items during an average inspection, including the home's exterior, steps, porches, decks, chimneys, roof, windows, doors, attics, electrical components, plumbing, central heating and air conditioning, basement/crawlspaces, and garages.
- Home inspections are intended to point out adverse conditions, not cosmetic flaws.
- Inspectors may point out termite damage and suggest that you get a separate pest inspection.
- You should attend the inspection and follow the inspector throughout the inspection so you can learn what's important and what's not.
- Home inspectors work for the party who is paying the fee; however, they are bound by a code of ethics to act as an unbiased third party to the real estate transaction.
- It's your choice whether or not to share the inspection report with others. If you're a seller, you don't have to disclose the report to buyers, but you must disclose any failure in the systems or integrity of your home.
- Inspectors are not responsible for the condition of the home. Inspectors don't go behind walls or under flooring, so it's possible that a serious problem can be overlooked.
- The final written report should be concise and easy to understand.
- Don't be deterred from having a home inspection. A home inspection can save you money in the long run, and it's required by many lenders, particularly for FHA loans.
For more information about home inspections, please contact Capitol Hill Realtor, Michelle Buckman. Michelle Buckman has the experience you need to help you sell your Capitol Hill real estate. Representing W.C. & A.N. Miller, a Long & Foster Company, and Christie's Great Estates properties in Capitol Hill, and the surrounding Washington DC area, Michelle works with a full range of very satisfied clients.