Michele Buckman has put together some videos discussing the current DC market and what the future may hold for the real estate market in the Washington DC area.
Make a mistake when you sell your Washington, D.C.-area home and you stand to lose a lot. If you’re like most people, your home is your most valuable investment. Even a single selling mistake can be costly. Avoid the following six slip-ups other sellers commonly make and you can stay a step ahead of the competition:
1. Setting the wrong price. By asking too little for your home, you’ll probably sell faster but net less than you could have from the sale. Setting the price too high, though, means you turn away the best prospects for your home. We can put together a comparative market analysis that helps you set the best price for your home.
2. Selling “as is.” In the competitive home-sale marketplace, you need to show your home at its best. That means having it in “move-in” condition from the first day it’s listed. We can point out your home’s chief assets and suggest how to highlight them, as well as help you identify what need improving.
3. Over-improving. While clearing out clutter, deep cleaning and making repairs are important, undertaking a major project could cost more money than you would recover from the sale. Some major repairs, however, like replacing a roof, should be done if they are needed.
4. Selling it yourself. Although doing your own marketing looks tempting as a way to save money, surveys show self-sellers often net less from the sale than sellers who use a real estate professional. And self-sellers find that agents do a lot more than most people think—from bringing in qualified buyers to keeping everything on track to settlement.
5. Failing to offer financial incentives. Special options can attract buyers without costing a lot. Often, incentives like a home warranty or paying points or some closing costs can be figured in when setting the price of the home.
6. Ignoring your agent’s advice. As experienced professionals, we know what works and what doesn’t. Still, we’re always willing to discuss with our clients anything they’re uncomfortable with or disagree with. The point is to find the best way to sell your home.
Call Buckman Realtors when you’re thinking about selling your home. We’ll help you keep your footing!