Take a moment to browse my resource center to look for answers and information including the latest trends in the local market.
Search the Washington Metropolitan area for Homes
Washington DC Real Estate Tips
Washington DC Tips
Michele Buckman has put together some videos discussing the current DC market and what the future may hold for the real estate market in the Washington DC area.
Selling Your Capitol Hill Home: How to Remove Odors from Smoking
The homes of smokers take longer to sell, and often sell for less than the average market price. If you want to get top dollar when selling your Capitol Hill home, you will need to remove those smoking odors.
Smoke and nicotine can get on your walls, carpets, upholstery, and drapes. In order to remove the smell of smoke and the nicotine, the entire home – including furniture – needs to be cleaned, carpets and drapes will need to be replaced, and the walls, ceiling, and trim painted. Here are some other tips for selling your Capitol Hill home:
- Air out the house frequently during the cleaning process.
- Store cleaned items out of the home, until carpets are cleaned or replaced, and walls are painted.
- Wash the floors, ceilings, window screens and other fixtures with a mixture of water and bleach, and rinse well. Remember the interiors of closets and cabinets, the basement and the hallways.
- Wipe all the wood, plastic and metal furniture and appliances with distilled white vinegar. Put the vinegar in a spray bottle and wipe it clean with a rag; rinse with water and dry.
- Use a deodorizing primer on the washed walls; without it, the nicotine and smoke smell will seep through the new paint.
- Replace your air filters, furnace filters and air conditioning filters.
- Don’t smoke in the house again.
For more information and tips on selling your Capitol Hill home, please contact Michelle Buckman, Realtor. Specializing in real estate in Capitol Hill, the real estate professionals at Buckman Realtor will help you sell your Capitol Hill home, for the best price possible.