Take a moment to browse my resource center to look for answers and information including the latest trends in the local market.
Search the Washington Metropolitan area for Homes
Washington DC Real Estate Tips
Washington DC Tips
Michele Buckman has put together some videos discussing the current DC market and what the future may hold for the real estate market in the Washington DC area.
Top 10 Tips for Easy Home Showings
Your DC Realtor, Michelle Buckman shares her top 10 tips for showing your home, and getting it sold – fast!
- Clean: Of course, you’ll want to clean, to show your home at its best. Pick up clutter, wash dirty dishes, dust, and vacuum the carpet.
- Do a deep clean: Deep clean your home from top to bottom and inside out. Wash windows and screens, power wash sidewalks, shampoo carpets, degrease cabinets, etc. Buyers want to imagine themselves in a clean home - not a dirty one.
- Make your home scentsational: Buyers experience a home with all of their senses, and how it’s important that your home smells clean and inviting. Cleaning should take care of some of the odors that live in your home, but take it one step further with Glade Plug-ins, Febreze, and scented candles. You’ll also want to refrain from any strong cooking odors or smoke.
- Landscaping matters: Curb appeal is your home's first impression. Trim trees, add fresh mulch to flower beds, and set out a few potted plants of blooming annuals. Rake leaves and fill in grass when needed.
- Update colors: Buyers want to see neutral palettes where they can imagine their own touches. If you have a particularly "loud" room then it might be time to get out the brushes and rollers and paint on a new coat of color. If you need color ideas, ask your DC Realtor, Michelle Buckman.
- Stage your home: Staging is a finishing touch that can take a room from good to great. Look at each room with new eyes; you may need to rearrange furniture, remove furniture, and buy a few new accessories. Throw pillows and a few decorative touches can take a room to the next level. Stumped by staging? Michelle Buckman, your DC Realtor can help – with ideas or connect you with a staging expert.
- Add some greenery: There's no better way to make a home feel alive than to add houseplants and fresh-cut flowers. Add these touches to every room of the house – this helps with keep the air fresh, and contributes to staging your rooms well.
- Make repairs: Take the time to fix minor issues. These can be real distractions to buyers, and may lead buyers to think that you may not have taken care of other important home maintenance.
- Lock up valuables: This won't make your home sell any faster, but it's a great tip for all homeowners. Lock away jewelry, cash, wallets, and any other valuables that could easily "walk" away in inaccessible drawers or safes.
- Make yourself scarce: Resist the urge to stick around while buyers are looking at your home, because it really could chase buyers off. Buyers don't want to feel a seller watching them – it’s uncomfortable. Buyers want the freedom to talk openly and to take their time. Go shopping or take a trip to the park with your little ones. Don’t worry; Michelle Buckman, your DC Realtor will keep you posted on what’s happened at the showing.
For more home selling tips contact your DC Realtor, Michelle Buckman at Buckman Realtor. Serving all of Washington DC, Michelle will put her experience and knowledge to work for you.